Scuppernong Spectacular 2019
- Aug 30 - 31, 2019
- Monroe, North Carolina, United States
- 2505 Morgan Mill Rd, Monroe, North Carolina 28110
Family Life Center
- Cady Shields and Carson Claud
- WCA Delegates
- Cady Shields, Jacob Ambrose, Joshua Feran, and Katie Hull
- Download all the competition's details as PDF .
Registration includes a shirt. Please include your shirt size in the comment section of registration. If you fail to do so, you will not get a shirt
Please always include your name and competition name in any email that you send to us.
All competitors must read the "Competitor Information" tab prior to registering.
Please read all tabs prior to the competition and regularly check your email for updates from us. All contact will be made by email.
Registrations must be manually approved, please wait up to 48 hours to appear on the competitor's list.
- Main event
- Registration period
Online registration opened and closed .
- Registration requirements
This competition is over, click here to display the registration requirements it used.Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 120 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $14 (United States Dollar).
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 95% of your registration fee.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
Spectators can attend for free.
- To register for this competition, you must pay in full in advance through Stripe. Your registration is not complete until you pay.
- To cancel your registration, please email the organizers with your name telling them you want to cancel your registration. If you are having trouble paying on the website or any other registration problems, please use the contact button to talk to us.
- After the competition reaches 120 competitors, a waitlist will be created. You must pay to be placed on the waitlist. If you are at the top of the waitlist and someone cancels their registration, you will receive an email from the organizers. You must confirm your registration within 24 hours of receiving the email to compete. If no response is heard from you, the next person on the waiting list will be offered your spot.
- After the competition, all competitors on the waiting list will recieve a refund for the registration cost minus tax.
- If the competition reaches its competitor limit and when registration closes, no additional registrations will be accepted. No exceptions.
-If you are interested in being on staff for this competition please email the organizers.
Click here to display the highlights of the competition.
|3x3x3 Cube||Katie Hull||7.09||7.86||United States||7.09||8.37||7.17||8.03||9.63|
|4x4x4 Cube||Katie Hull||27.06||28.55||United States||27.81||28.88||28.96||31.65||27.06|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||Will Belote||35.23||DNF||United States||DNF||35.23||DNF|
|Clock||Kerry Creech||5.68||6.07||United States||5.68||6.02||7.78||5.95||6.25|
|Pyraminx||Kerry Creech||1.89||2.65||United States||2.78||2.33||2.85||1.89||3.50|
|4x4x4 Blindfolded||Will Belote||4:12.02||DNF||United States||4:12.02||DNF||DNF|
|5x5x5 Blindfolded||Joshua Feran||14:20.00||DNF||United States||20:32.00||DNF||14:20.00|
|3x3x3 Cube||First round||Ao5||10:00.00||Top 75% advance to next round|
|Second round||Ao5||10:00.00||Top 24 advance to next round|
|4x4x4 Cube||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||4:00.00||2 attempts to get < 2:00.00||Top 16 advance to next round|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||First round||Bo3||30:00.00 cumulative *||Top 14 advance to next round|
|Final||Bo3||30:00.00 cumulative *|
|Clock||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||2:00.00||2 attempts to get < 1:00.00||Top 10 advance to next round|
|Pyraminx||First round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 16 advance to next round|
|4x4x4 Blindfolded||Final||Bo3||3:00:00.00 total for 4x4x4 Blindfolded Final and 5x5x5 Blindfolded Final **|
|5x5x5 Blindfolded||Final||Bo3||3:00:00.00 total for 4x4x4 Blindfolded Final and 5x5x5 Blindfolded Final **|
You are viewing the schedule for the venue Lee Park Baptist Church.
The schedule is displayed in the timezone America/Adak.
Schedule for Friday (August 30, 2019)
Schedule for Saturday (August 31, 2019)
The Unofficial Scuppernong Event was a team relay of 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4. In between solving each puzzle the competitors would then toss grapes ~10 feet apart into their partner's mouth. After 2 successful tosses the team would solve the next cube. After the last cube the team had to successfully catch one last grape in their mouth.
|#||Name 1||Name 2||Time|
|1||Carson Claud||Joshua Feran||1:20.99|
|2||Jacob Ambrose||Katie Hull||1:25.41|
|3||Tim Rinehart||Vihaan Ambre||1:35.75|
|4||Sumanth Chandrupatla||Thomas Anderson||1:47.09|
|5||Matthew Feldmann||Greyson Kerr||1:55.67|
|6||Silas Starling||Nick Chaney||2:01.54|
|7||Athul Vikas||David Yoder||2:01.82|
|8||Allen Lanier||Becky O'Reilly||2:07.92|
|9||Zachary Ochs||Kerry Creech||2:11.84|
|10||Noah Joiner||Will Belote||2:18.29|
|11||Ian Symonds||Noah Symonds||2:29.80|
|12||Anoop Gill||Isaac MacMenamin||2:45.47|
|13||Zachary Kronimus||Cherie Kronimus||3:24.55|
|14||Ryan Dant||Patrick William Ziegler||3:37.33|
|15||Austin Sao||Johnny Ta||3:58.13|
|16||Ryan Gilson||Cari Gilson||4:30.15|
|17||Braeden Tabor||Declan Tabor||4:34.02|
|18||Vishwa Sankar||Jacob Shum||5:39.10|
|19||Cady Shields||Rachel Feran||5:42.42|
|20||Tyler Jones||Stephen Moseley||6:00.40|
Please include your shirt size in the comment section of registration.
- Shortly following the new competitor introduction at 9:30am on Saturday, we will also hold a judging tutorial at this time. All competitors should attend this tutorial. If you are a parent and would like to be entertained for the duration of the day, judging would be a great option for you!
- Please try to arrive at least 30 minutes early for the events you are competing in to ensure that you are on time for that event.
- You are expected to help judge. You must judge for at least one group of every event you compete in.
- We will use regulation 9p3) for all final rounds. If you are not present when a final starts, you will be withdrawn from that final.
- It would be wonderful if we could get some volunteer help from the parents. This would require either being present at the judging tutorial or to have someone teach you how to judge later in the day. Judge for however long you'd feel like. It's an excellent way to make the time fly by!
- Your delegates for this competition are Cady Shields, Katie Hull, and Jacob Ambrose. Ask them if you have any questions throughout the day!
The competition will take place in the Family Life Center. This is the building that is closest to the road that says LEE PARK in big letters.
There is plenty of parking at the venue. Additional parking is located behind the Family Life Center
Lunch will not be provided; however, we are located just outside of Monroe that has plenty of restaurants within a short driving distance.
The closest hotels are located on Highway 74
Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Please include your shirt size in the comment section of registration.
For those of you new to cubing, WELCOME!
We wanted to let you know this event is perfectly fine for cubers of any age and experience. We just ask you know a couple things before coming to compete...
First, please be familiar with the WCA Regulations, found here:
This video will help explain most of what any cuber competing for the first time will need to know. It is highly suggested that parents watch this video as well.
If you have any questions after this video, we will be having a new competitor tutorial in the morning of the competition. That would be the perfect time to ask those questions and clear up any confusion.
If you are stoked to compete and ready to sign up, head over to the registration tab, click register, and fill out the information it asks for. This will help you get set up the WCA's system and one step closer to your first official solve!
* Please bring some for of identification. This will be used to verify your name, birthday, and nationality. (something like a passport or school ID).
* Please be familiar with all of WCA's regulations, most importantly Article A. If you have any questions about the regulations, feel free to ask us.
* In each event we will have rounds. We will take the top competitors on to the subsequent rounds. After a round is completed results will be entered into CubeComps. Your name will be highlighted if you made it to the next round.
* Each round will be divided into groups to help them run more efficiently. We will call the groups in order, along with a last call. Please come bring your solved puzzle up and wait in the competitor waiting area whenever your group is called. We are allowed to deny you the ability to compete if you do not come up by the last call. You can click on a tab at the bottom to see groups on a specific day.
Q: Do I use my own cube to compete?
A: YES! You are responsible for your own hardware in order to compete.
Q: What are some examples of puzzles that are not allowed?
A: Electronic cubes (such as Giiker or Gan360i), carbon fiber stickers, significantly damaged stickers, faces missing stickers (note: completely stickerless cubes are allowed), cubes missing pieces. Please see Article A of the regulations for more details.
Q: What is the normal age of competitors at these events?
A: All ages are welcome, but in general competitors are between 10 and 20 years old. Don't let this stop you though, everyone can and should cube!
Q: What is the competition like?
A: Competitions are a bunch of tables where nerds like us get to sit and discuss our favorite thing, Cubes! Of course in addition there is competing, which will occupy one side of the competition hall, where you will see lots of timers flickering with contestants new personal bests. Most competitions have a break for lunch, and the competing is split up into groups, as to better organize who competes when. (Check the Groups tab and listen at the competition for more info on this.)
Q: How do I find results?
A: All results are posted on the WCA page a couple of days after the competition finishes. However, for the day of competing, go to Cubecomps.com to find information about current events. This is also where you will find information about 2nd and 3rd rounds of events.
Q: Why am I not on the competitors list yet?
A: Allow up to 48 hours for your name to appear on the competitors list. Make sure you pay you entrance fee in order to be automatically placed on the registered list, which will also guarantee you a spot in the competition. You must also pay to be put on the waitlist. If payment may be any issue, or you are not sure if you can attend, use the contact button to talk to us.
Q: Are there age divisions?
A: Nope! All cometitors compete in the same group.
Q: Can I have fun at this event?
A: HECK YES! Cubing is amazing, and we sincerely hope you enjoy the competition!
Shirts have been ordered
Registration for this competition will automatically include a T-Shirt. Woo T-Shirts! Please see the design below. Please include your T-Shirt size in the comments of your registration otherwise you WILL NOT recieve a shirt.
Please include your shirt size in the comment section of registration.
If you would like to be added to a mailing list to be notified about future North Carolina competitions, please fill out this form.
Anyone can join the mailing list, we encourage parents/guardians to join as well. This mailing list is run by local Delegates and therefore is not official.
On the schedule you may have noticed an "Unofficial Scuppernong Event". This event will recognize the North Carolina state fruit the Scuppernong grape! If you would like to read about the historic impact of scuppernongs on our state you can do so here: https://www.ncpedia.org/symbols/fruit
The details for the unofficial event:
You will need:
- A partner
- (1) 2x2
- (1) 3x3
- (1) 4x4
- grapes that will be provided
This event will be a 2x2 through 4x4 relay with a twist! Please make sure that at least one person from each pair knows how to solve a 2x2 through 4x4. Remember to bring a 2x2 through 4x4 to participate in this event. Borrowing is allowed but not guaranteed. Each pair will only need 1 of each puzzle, not two of each. This event will most likely take place outside so plan accordingly.
Each pair will be given grapes to toss into each other’s mouths. On go, one individual can solve any of the three cubes. Once a 2x2, 3x3, or 4x4 is solved, a competitor must successfully toss two grapes into their partners mouth. The pair cannot proceed solving the puzzles until two grapes have been caught. Once caught, you can proceed to any of the remaining puzzles. After solving the second puzzle you repeat the process by catching two grapes again. After solving the final puzzle, you must catch one final grape. If and when a pair drops all of their grapes and refuses to reuse them, they will receive a DNF (we will have a lot of grapes available, you have to be really bad at throwing grapes to run out). Times will be recorded, and a pair will be crowned the SCUPPERNONG CHAMPIONS.
The grapes will be clean and safe to eat, but you do not have to eat them. If you are allergic to grapes please let us know so we can have an alternative for you.
Rundown of event:
1. Solve a puzzle
2. Throw and catch two grapes
3. Solve a puzzle
4. Throw and catch two grapes
5. Solve final puzzle
6. Throw and catch one final grape
TheCubicle will be the sponsor of this competition. They will provide gift cards to the podium winners!
If you reach the time limit during your solve, the judge will stop you and your result will be DNF (see Regulation A1a4).
A cumulative time limit may be enforced (see Regulation A1a2).
A cumulative time limit may be enforced across rounds (see Guideline A1a2++).
The result to beat to proceed to the second phase of a cutoff round (see Regulation 9g).
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.